Can I Shave After A Spray Tan?
This is a very common question and the answer is YES as long as you follow a few simple rules.
Shaving Before Your Spray Tan:
First things first, BEFORE your spray tan appointment go ahead and exfoliate your body and shave. This gives us a smooth pallet to spray over and removes the dry patchy skin that can lead to an uneven sunless tan.
Can You Shave The Day Of A Spray Tan?
Shave the night before your tan, it gives your pores a chance to close up before the spray tan is applied so the tanning solution doesn’t settle into them resulting in little polka dots.
Shaving After Your Spray Tan:
Please wait 8-10 hours after getting your spray tan before you are shaving anything. Shaving does exfoliate the skin, so to shave AFTER your spray tan there are a few tricks to remember:
- USE A NEW RAZOR. The old razor that is hanging out in the shower is dull and will drag on your skin taking your tan off with it. This isn’t going to make anyone happy so go grab a fresh one so it can glide along without dragging against your skin as much.
- DON’T USE SHAVING FOAM. Shaving products often have ingredients that can damage your tan. Alcohol and heavy detergents which can dry and strip your tan away. In a pinch use your conditioner or a sulfate free, shower wash so you are not applying harsh products to your freshly sprayed tan. If your razor has a moisturizing strip make sure that you are rinsing all that product off your skin too. PRO TIP: Never dry shave.
- LIGHT TOUCH. Don’t press hard when you are shaving. Let the razor glide along your skin gently so that you are not taking off the tan when you shave.
Spray Tan Tips For Men
When it comes to my male clients getting their spray tan applied we need to have a quick conversation about your shaving routine.
You are shaving your face and/or head so if we mess this up it’s gonna show.
My questions are:
- How often do you shave?
- Do you use a blade or electric?
- Are you using any pre-shave products or after-shave products?
First shave your face and/or head before you come in for your spray tan appointment.
This gives me a clean palate to start with.
Before shaving the first time after I have applied your airbrush spray tan, wait at least 8-10 hours for the sunless tan to fully develop before showering or shaving.
Skip the pre-shave products as they have ingredients in them that will break down your tan.
Don’t use a foam based shaving product. These have alcohol and detergents in them that will break down your tan.
Do use a plain alcohol free lotion after you shave to soothe and hydrate your skin and keep your tan moisturized.
Don’t shave daily if you can help it.
Use an electric razor over a blade. This is gentler to your spray tan helping it to last longer.
Spray Tan Tips For Shaving
Try not to shave daily after your spray tan if you can help it. The more often you are shaving the faster you will fade out your color. Also, waxing after your spray tan will definitely remove your color as waxing removes some skin along with the hair so make sure that if you are waxing that you do that 24 hours BEFORE your spray tan.
You CAN have bronzy smooth skin if you follow these spray tan tips for shaving after your spray tan!
And as always, following up with a good moisturizer or sunless glow creme can help to keep your color longer.