Becoming a mom means that your health and your skin needs to go through a much more careful screening process. The good news is that getting a spray tan while pregnant is not only perfectly safe, but it can also be a great mood lifter and a chance to unwind from stress and anxiety. It is no secret that adjusting to a new, curvier body can be a tough task. Getting that perfect golden skin tone can be just what you need to help you feel sexy and feminine.
What You Should Know Before Getting a Spray Tan While Pregnant
- DHA, the most common coloring agent in today’s fake tanning formulas, typically stays in the top layer of your skin. Because the top layer of the skin is composed of dead skin cells, any cells that are affected by DHA naturally fall off and get replaced by new cells within a relatively short period of time.
- The main concern when it comes to getting a spray tan while pregnant is inhaling DHA and other chemicals by accident. To prevent inhaling, make sure you are in an open, well ventilated area. In between tanning sessions, use natural bronze powders to cover or blend in spots that are fading.
- Because your hormone levels can fluctuate dramatically throughout your pregnancy, do a skin test before getting a spray tan or using any self-tanning lotions. In addition to checking for skin irritation, make sure that you are not bothered by the product’s scent. Some pregnant women find the smell of self-tanning formulas to be too overwhelming to use on a regular basis. If you are sensitive to strong smells, look for organic formulas without artificial preservatives or added fragrance.
Remember that while fake tanning during pregnancy is generally harmless, it is always a good idea to check in with your physician before you make any changes to your skin care routine. Your doctor knows you best, so getting his or her approval can help put your mind at ease about getting a spray tan while pregnant. If you are still nervous after seeing your doctor, wait until you are in your second trimester before you use any fake tanners.
Do spray tans have age limits? I mean, I understand that spray tanning toddlers for beauty pageants is a little ridiculous. But is there an age that is TOO OLD to spray tan?
Everyone (no matter what age you are) wants that natural looking tan without stepping into the sun? Well, sunless spray tanning can help you do just that. But with mature skin you might have to take a bit more care while spray tanning for the best results. We all know, when you are on the other side of 50, it takes a little extra effort to look that much more beautiful. When done correctly, sunless spray tanning can make even mature skin look younger – it can help cover up skin imperfections, hide under-eye dark circles and give your skin a healthy younger glow. However, major part of getting it right when it comes to spray tanning mature skin is exfoliating thoroughly. Why, you ask. Thorough exfoliation can make a huge difference when spray tanning mature skin. Read on to find out why.
Why is Exfoliation Necessary for Spray Tanning Mature Skin
The main active ingredient used in sunless spray tanning solutions is dihydroxyacetone or DHA. It reacts with the cells in the outermost layer of the skin to produce a tanning effect. Exfoliating helps the skin absorb the tanning solution better, thus producing a natural looking tan. However, mature skin requires an extra dose of exfoliation. This is primarily because, mature skin is different in texture – there are generally more dry bits on mature skin as compared to younger skin. Usually, these dry bits occur on the legs and the arms. These bits can be felt as scales or dry spots and may sometimes even appear as big freckles.
If you have mature skin and you don’t exfoliate before your spray tanning session, you might end up with dark tan spots all over your skin. This is because the dry scaly bits along with your knees and elbows absorb a lot more of the tanning solution as compared to the rest of the skin. These dark tan spots become more prominent as the tan starts to fade, and the dry bits remain intense brown. Exfoliating thoroughly helps to remove these dry bits, thus ensuring a better and more even tan. One effective way of exfoliating mature skin thoroughly before a spray tanning session is to use a Baiden Mitten. These mittens are specifically designed to help exfoliate the skin better. Another thing you should keep in mind when spray tanning mature skin is to opt for a lighter shade. Darker shades can make you look older.
No matter how old you get, you are never too old to spray tan! Ask my grandmother (pictured above). She is 82 and still gets regular spray tans!
July 4th is only a few days away, meaning a slew of celebratory events with friends and family all day for BBQs, picnics, parties and, of course, the obligatory fireworks. Preparations are bound to be insane, but that is hardly an excuse for putting anything less than your best foot forward. Or legs, rather. Independence Day wouldn’t be right without the standard uniform of bathing suit, shorts and dresses emblazoned with all things patriotic, no? But worry not, getting beautiful legs by Friday isn’t impossible. Here’s the breakdown: exfoliate, moisturize, fake a tan and give yourself an extra bit of glow, just in time for a weekend of living in your favorite shorts!
- Exfoliate. Gently buff away rough and dead skin build-up, paying special attention to the knees, ankles and feet. Smooth legs is always a plus, but it’s absolutely essential in preparation for spray tanning.
- Spray Tan. Make the healthy switch! Try an airbrushed spray tan instead of subjecting yourself to damaging UV rays for that summer skin we’re always after.
- Moisturize. Soften and improve skin texture. Beautiful legs is serious business!
- Let it glow, let it glow, let it glow! Three words. Superior Spray Tanning. For that perfect, sun-kissed glow. A little bit of shimmer goes a long way – it’s our secret to radiant skin.
- … and an extra beauty tip since we love you. Wedges not only elongate the leg, but can help fake a great calf muscle for all those July 4th shorts and dresses.
So bare those legs and the skin you’re in with utmost confidence! You’ve always had it; it’s just a matter of letting us help you bring it out. Happy Independence Day from your friends at Superior Spray Tanning!